Adore's new series will follow the typical morning routine of a New Orleans mover and shaker. 

Hannah Yim has been with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra since 2007 and currently serves as their assistant concertmaster. When she isn't performing with the orchestra or as a soloist, you can find her performing at festivals around New Orleans (everything from Jazz Fest to Voodoo Fest) or at weddings through Harlequin Chamber Music (she's the creator). She is also the first violinist and arranger for the Radio Bird Quartet. She arranged rock and pop covers for string quartet, which she finds to be her most enjoyable and important musical work to date. 

Originally from Orange County, California, Yim completed her BMus and MMus in music performance from Indiana University. In her free time, the musician enjoys arranging, marathon-watching TV, photography, and hanging out with her two dogs, Katniss and Penny. To add to her already impressive resume, she's also a certified mixologist and amateur gardener. 


To see how she gets a typical day started, read her morning routine below!

8:15 a.m. Like most mornings, I've set multiple alarms. This is the first to go off for a typical rehearsal day. I press snooze.

8:23 a.m. *Snooze*

8:30 a.m. Finally get up and start my late-ish morning. After I shower, I brush my teeth, wash my face, and put on sunscreen. This is usually all I do unless I have a social function or a concert later that I'm not going to be able to get home for. I *do* put some toning conditioner in my hair before I go downstairs; I had a round of killer balayage highlights put in my hair by the amazing Linzy Pennington at Salon III on Magazine, and I want to make sure I'm taking care of them!

hy pet

8:55 a.m. I go downstairs, say hello to my two dogs. Everyone thinks their dogs are the best dogs, and I'm no exception. (Also, everyone is right.) They have this weird routine where they have to run to the far end of the room and watch me descend the stairs before they come say hi to me. Penny is the sweet one, Katniss is the needy one. Luckily they get along great. We recently got them groomed with cute short cuts at Petcetera but they're both getting shaggy again, their hair just grows so fast... Might be time for another appointment.

8:57 a.m. I down some homemade iced tea from the fridge, take my daily vitamins, and force myself to have some yogurt. I miss my coffee routine⁠—especially visiting all the fun local places close to my neighborhood like Rue de La Course, Z'otz, and Satsuma Cafe, but I decided to cut all coffee out of my diet just a few months prior due to some mysterious headaches I was getting that I wanted to pinpoint. I have a feeling it's going to find some way back into my life though, as it always does. I won't be too mad when that happens.

9:05 a.m. I sit down in front of the computer with my yogurt and begin to check my emails. Since I became orchestra president for the LPO this season, the committee and board emails every morning have been impressive. I also have emails to send to my Harlequin Chamber Music wedding clients for a busy upcoming weekend: the Degas House, The Cannery, The Jaxson, and the Audubon Zoo, all in one Saturday! This is one of the busiest weekends coming up so I'm preparing way in advance to cover all our bases with the musicians, clients, and planners.


9:18 a.m. Got through the most important emails, whew! Time to leave for work. I clean up my work area, grab my violin, music, bag, and another glass of iced tea, say bye to the dogs, and leave the house.

9:41 a.m. Arrive at our designated orchestra parking at the Holiday Inn Downtown on Loyola. The staff here are always super kind and nice to all of us musicians as they see us in the elevators or the lobby with our strangely shaped instrument cases. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone who wants a place to stay when they visit. I need to walk fast as I'm already feeling behind on getting out of the house.

9:48 a.m. Enter backstage of the Orpheum Theater on Roosevelt Avenue, get into the hall, and give the music folder to my stand partner, who is already on stage warming up. This week we're with Thomas Wilkins, our principal guest conductor, for a great program with Dvorak's New World Symphony and a piano concerto by Florence Price, the first African American woman to be recognized as a symphony composer. Later this evening we're holding a reception for Thomas Wilkins at Dooky Chase's, which promises to be a really exciting (and delicious) event.


10:00 a.m. Call for the beginning of rehearsal! Both our stage manager and I have short announcements to make, and then Thomas Wilkins takes it over! We begin with the Dvorak and do a quick run of the whole symphony with a little bit of work on the first and second movements. I think everyone is happy to have Wilkins back for a subscription Classics concert; the last thing he conducted was the annual LPO concert at City Park back in the spring.

11:08 a.m. Break time. We get 15 minutes before we're back on stage to rehearse more. I exit the stage, get to my case and bag, and continue checking my emails to make sure there's nothing pressing I missed this morning in my correspondence.

11:23 a.m. Call back to stage! We continue reading with the next piece on today's rehearsal schedule, a symphony by a contemporary composer, and a personal friend of Wilkins, Adolphus Hailstork. It's definitely more interesting with the whole ensemble than it was practicing it alone and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this quirky piece. This will be a really fun concert.