Adore's new series will follow the typical morning routine of a New Orleans mover and shaker. 

Charisse Gibson, a native New Orleanian, is back at WWL-TV almost 10 years after she started at the station as a desk assistant. "I approached my time in the newsroom that time around the same as I do now, I’m on a mission," she told Adore. "At the time the mission was to work my way into the TV news industry and I had already made the first big step: get into the newsroom."

Gibson took full advantage of her access to reporters, editing tools, anchors, and camera equipment. She didn't get the position at WWL-TC, which she says is "probably the best thing that could have happened to me," she landed a job in Biloxi, Mississippi as a news producer. That led to become TV reporter and TV news anchor, then as a morning news anchor in Shreveport, Louisiana, and a morning anchor and host in Cincinnati, Ohio.


Photo via

Fatigued from the 2:30 a.m. wake up calls and suffering from an illness at the time, she started to shop for new jobs. "I set out on the path for a job that would allow me to sleep in a little later and work on harder and more in-depth coverage. In comes the boyfriend that rejected me several years ago, WWL-TV."

Gibson says the station had a new attitude and direction with Keith Esparros, the news director. "I am back where I belong, but this time with more experience and as an evening news anchor."

When she isn't on camera, Gibson enjoys being active in the community, especially with the National Association of Black Journalists. Her typical hours are 2-10:30 p.m., meaning she has the morning to prepare for the day at work, spend quality time with her adorable dogs, and get a solid workout in. To see how she gets it all done, check out her morning routine below!

9 a.m. I typically hear the whines of my two little ones: Joey and Isabella Gibson my Chihuahua and Yorkie mixes. At this hour it usually means they no longer want to sleep and want attention or they want to join me in bed. I choose to believe the latter. So they join me in bed for another hour. I check my work email to make sure I’m not missing anything important.

10 a.m. My two little ones are typically ready to get out of bed after giving me an extra hour of sleep, so we go downstairs for a little refresher. They get to go in the backyard to run around a little to *ahem* do their duty, while I head to the kitchen for Community Coffee. Growing up, my Dad always loved coffee and chicory. He says it’s the only way a true New Orleanian starts their day. I’m a huge coffee lover and faithful CC’s and PJ’s customer. I add a little almond milk to my coffee and Truvia just to add a slight sweet touch. I check my email, again.

10:15 a.m. I am currently on a plant-based diet while intermittent fasting, so I try to keep myself busy during this time since I won’t eat my first meal until noon. I bring the dogs inside (by this time, Joey is scratching at the door) and give them treats hoping it calms them down. It doesn’t.

10:30 a.m. I pull my yoga mat downstairs, weights, and resistance bands. Let’s be clear, I hate the gym. I hate working out. But, it’s a necessary evil. I workout different body parts depending on the day and what doesn’t hurt.


Photo via

11:00 a.m. We live pretty close to City Park and it is one of my favorite parks in the city. After I do my at-home workout, I drive the dogs to the park to get their workout in. I typically walk them around the park until they’re worn out.

11:15 a.m. While I will forever be a lover of Morning Call, I appreciate the Cafe Du Monde walk up window in the new City Park location. I love a frozen cafe au lait on a 95 degree New Orleans day.

11:30 a.m. We leave the park and take our ride down Esplanade Ave with the pups. I love to record Joey and Bella hanging out of the window with the streets in the background while I listen to WWOZ 90.3 or the Sirius XM Jazz station.

11:45 a.m. The dogs are exhausted and in bed. I check email again and if I haven’t received what I’ve been looking for, I send a follow-up email hoping someone responds before lunch time. Quick shower before noon news begins.

12:00 p.m. I love noon news. I watch WWL-TV of course. I can now eat for the first time today. I typically start my day with a huge salad: kale, arugula, pumpkin seeds, red onion, broccoli, sauerkraut (probiotics), and a homemade dressing.

12:30 p.m. After WWL-TV at noon goes off, I switch to CNN continuing coverage. I listen to CNN while getting ready for work.

1:00 p.m. I pick what I’m going to wear for work and pack my bag. I typically do hair and make-up (yes, I do my own) when we arrive at the station because I want it to be fresh.

1:15 p.m.: I make the remainder of my meals for the day. I love the healing turmeric smoothie: turmeric, chia seeds, almond milk, banana, frozen mango, cinnamon, and pepper. I also bring another meal I’m sure I made during meal prep that week.


Photo via

1:30 p.m. I have to convince the dogs to get in their kennels. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn’t. They have learned my routine so they hide underneath the bed to get away from me.

1:45 p.m. I’m out the door on the way to the station. I typically forget lashes so I have to pick some up at CVS. If it’s Friday, I always stop at Sweet Soulfood Vegan Restaurant on Broad St. for Fried Cauliflower Friday’s!

2:00 p.m. Arrive at the station for the afternoon meeting. Shows at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on WWL-TV and 6:30 p.m. on WUPL.